04 August 2011

Am I still a Vegetarian?

So one of  the most asked question, besides "How are you doing?" is "Are you still a Vegetarian?"

Of course my immediate response was "Definitely! I am so blessed to have not eaten meat since I've been here!" But if someone were to ask me that question today, my response would be, "I'm not sure!"

It's crazy that I'm even writing this post because I just knew, 4 years ago this month when I decided to become a Vegetarian that I would Never go back to eating meat. And if you really know me, I'm sure you're just as surprised to be reading this blog...

But anyway, let's examine this question: Am I still a Vegetarian. First, the very reasons I decided to become a Vegetarian is null and void now that I'm living in Guatemala, Second, if 98% of the veggies I eat are cooked with meat, are they still veggies or are they now meat.

I was thrilled to read in my welcoming package to Peace Corps Guatemala that Volunteers find it easy to be vegetarians. *You can read my earlier posts to see my excitement* I was told that the rural populations whom I would be working with, were normally poorer and couldn't afford meat. Well, I must say that is FARTHEST from the truth. Not only have I had to explain that I do not eat meat to everyone (and get a look of confusion in response) but people in rural areas definitely eat meat! In fact, the only true part about that statement is that they may be too poor to buy meat, but how about all the families that raise animals! I have seen more cows, chickens, pigs, etc. in the last 3 months than I have in my entire life (and I loved going to the zoo!). The only real difference is that here, people do not eat meat with every single meal, which is much healthier. Like most Latin American cultures, lunch is usually the biggest meal of the day, and it is at this meal that meat is usually consumed.

I have not mentioned this in my blog yet, but my Training group is the first group to be required to live with a Host family the entire 2 years of our service. I mention that because this is the entire reason behind my post. And unfortunately for me, I am not as lucky as some of my fellow Volunteers to have my own kitchen set-up...sooo I am forced to eat every meal with my host family. Which brings me to my second point earlier, if my veggies are cooked in meat, are they still just veggies? I remember in the States, I was VERY adamant that I could not have anything cooked with meat! Well that attitude here would make me starve to death, so of course I've been a lot more lenient. However, while eating lunch today, which was rice with the carrots and potatoes cooked with big chinks of beef, I thought to myself, I might as well be eating the meat, because the potatoes and carrots and sauce were definitely coated with the fat from the meat. Yeah, I could see it in the sauce. lol It was so good going down though, it took me back to my younger days having mom's spaghetti! So I was happy at the moment...but shortly after those type meals, my stomach does that thing that it does...and I've become so used to it that it doesn't even faze me anymore. (Having gastrointestinal issues in PC is like tattoos in the states... everyone gets them and you're not "real" if you don't). Anyway, I think my question is valid. If you think about Southern cooking and those grandmother's that would cook their greens with fat back...  it was suggested that you cook with turkey instead of pork, because it's healthier... So with that being said, isn't that the same thing for me... if I'm just eating the side veggies to the meat, I'm eating all that the meat embodies (like the enzymes, fat, and whatever else is in meat).

To my first point mentioned earlier, my reasonings for becoming a vegetarian is completely null and void here in Guate. I happen to be a very stubborn and prideful person, so if I say something, I must do it! Also, I will not be told to do something that I don't want to do or that I don't have to do, unless I want to do it. Well, I say all of that to say that my personality has everything to do with why I became a vegetarian. My history with meat has not always been love at first sight, like it is with other people. I always loved my fruits, veggies, and snacks (just like now). However, growing up my mom always fed me meat with a healthy serving of veggies on the side. So, naive as I once was, I thought that I had to eat meat for survival. To make a long story short, I'll leave out my decision to stop eating beef and pork, which happened 10 years ago. So anyway, shortly before I started grad school I learned that the marketing ads were misleading (i.e. The Got Milk Campaign- fyi, you can get more calcium from Broccoli than you can from a glass of milk) and the U.S. agricultural arena is mostly for economical gain than ensuring Americans are eating healthy. Thus, learning that and some other tidbits of information, I decided I'm better off not eating meat. I pledged that I would not fill my body with hormone pumped and mistreated, unhappy animal parts. And, I still stand by that! However, that is completely not the case here in Guate! As I mentioned above, a lot of the families take care of their animals in their back yards (or in their kitchens -- but that's why I'm here!) and from my understanding, they are not pumping their animals with steroids and other hormones (unless lots and lots of corn counts).

So, that's all I have to say for now.. What do YOU think? Am I still a Vegetarian?

Fresh off the plane, my first Guatemalan meal/snack! I LOVE Tortillas w/ Guacamole!!!

2 comments:

  1. Don't beat yourself up. Those small farm animals you are having are so much healthier than meats in the US. You're eating organic, natural foods without paying so much extra for it like we do here. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. While you are not by the books a vegetarian, you are still holding true to your convictions of not eating hormone and steroid filled US meats. Eating in Nigeria I know exactly how the meats feel different and not as heavy on one's system... Soldier on my dear< soldier on!!!

    ReplyDelete