03 May 2011

Guatemala...

I'm on a break from training so I will keep it short until next time...

This is my 1st post in country and I must say, it has been a great experience! I am coming in contact with some great people. I am on my 2nd host family and they both have been very accommodating. All of my food experiences have been great! Currently, my host mom is a semi-vegetarian because she had an operation on her stomach, so she has to watch what she eats...turns out to be the best thing for me! The food here is amazing, and I'm one of the lucky ones who hasn't gotten sick! Thank you Jesus!!!

Training is very intense, we go pretty much non-stop, even on the weekends. Sunday is our day off. This past Saturday was my first day in my community and staying with my host family (the one I'll be with for the next 3 months). My first night here I went to a fiesta, or a wedding reception! It was very interesting. There was a lot of people there, mostly eating. I saw the new couple's first dance. The whole experience was pretty much similar to receptions in the States, the only difference was the LARGE amount of people there! I was surprised by how many people that was there and getting fed. I did learn that a wedding here lasts for several days and I just saw the final reception. So, I'll have to update you on my next wedding ceremony.

I plan to do Bests and Worsts for each blog post. So here goes...

BEST: My best so far has to be how accommodating my host family is. I have great quarters to sleep in. They work with me on my spanish. Sunday, we went on a walk around the Pueblo (town) and I got to see a lot of how they live and what they do. Unfortunately, that's not a lot. They have this Beautiful swimming park area with a really long slide. It looks very fun (non-swimmer). However, that's pretty much it for entertainment. They go to Church, work and spend time with family. So, that has been interesting to learn.

WORST: So, unfortunately, I have a few more worsts than I have best... I'm hoping that will change the longer I'm here.
1. The street dogs. I am still shocked by the number of dogs that roam the streets looking for food and pestering people. The dogs here are fearless...much much different than in the States. I must say, we do a great job at controlling animals. However, they are everywhere and will follow you as well. One of my experiences, I had a mango in a bag and the dog was looking up at me like "Give me that mango" and I was like NO....you are not getting my Mango.. Lol... He eventually went away but he seemed like he wanted to put up a fight...Lol... Luckily for me, I started my Rabies series so I'm good to go now... J/k.

2. The noise. I completely underestimated how loud it is here. OMG... I have a difficult time sleeping at night because near my house there is a Church that plays music all night long and the intermission is like a Preacher talking about something.. still working on my Spanish. And it is so annoying...funny, but annoying. I definitely appreciate my Locust Grove home now... oh my goodness... I sleep with earplugs, which helps until they fall out and I wake up in the middle of the night. I'm hoping to get used to it but we'll see. The worsts of this worsts has been the children's singing in the inter-intermission... It's so crazy...you definitely have to be here to understand! Lol...

3. Firecrackers. So, there's this tradition that whenever it's someone's birthday, the family lights firecrackers... Tell me this... How many days a week is someone born? Exactly, every single day!!!! My host family is constantly telling me not to be afraid and that its totally safe, since people aren't using guns. I'm like I sure hope not. I told them that in the States, some people use guns (I keep thinking about the little boy's life we lost on New Year's Eve last year) and its so Peligroso (dangerous). But, they are completely immune to the noise..no one jumps when the loud noises come out of no where....I'm sure this is something I will get used to...I kinda am already. Talked to Mom and she's like... "It sounds like you're in a war zone.." LOL

4. Chicken buses. I totally knew that this would be a worst but was hoping it wouldn't make the list. Let's just say, I am SO glad to be typing this blog right now. I just knew I was going to dye this morning. I planned my escape route and everything as I was praying my way to the Peace Corps office this morning. I swear we one-wheeled it a couple of times! Lol I have to just laugh b/c it's hilarious, but very scary at the same time. And yes, they very much so pack us in like Sardines and go very very fast! Thanks for my Dramamine (sp), I'm definitely using it... And please include in future care packages! ;-)

I know these are a lot of worsts but hopefully funny stories that you can enjoy! Overall, I'm having a wonderful experience. I've been here for a week now and I can already see some of my growth. I have no choice but to speak lots of Spanish and it's definitely working. My confience is rising and I'm feeling so much more comforatable! I can't wait to start learning my techincal spanish words so I can go out a saved the world.... one hand washing at a time!!!

Love and miss you lots!
Shantrice

P.S. Pictures to come soon...

7 comments:

  1. Aww so great. I am glad you are enjoying it and learning a lot. Do they tell you all how to handle the street dogs? I know in Cape Verde, the locals would tell me to carry a rock and threaten the dog with it, and they usually went away. Anyways, keep growing and writing. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thoroughly enjoyed reading your blog. It's fun reading someone's personal experiences in a new land. I look forward to new posts. Enjoy yourself

    -Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds amazing! looking forward to reading more posts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. glad that you are enjoying your time there, girl. I can feel an interesting guatemela through your lens. I want to visit it now

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glade all is going well sweet heart and u r enjoying ure self look 4ward 2 hearing more and talkin real soon "love u babe"..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Lady! Sounds like you are having an awesome time. Not everyone is willing to put themselves into situations where they are forced to grow. Kudos! ¡Tenga un día maravilloso!

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Shantrice! I look forward to your next post. So the traffic is even scarier than Atlanta? It sounds like Cozumel if you added chicken buses. Hang in there! Experience of a lifetime.

    ReplyDelete